Dezember 05, 2022

Solitaire - Alice Oseman


 My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year - before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that I would have to start talking to people - I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that's all over now.

Now there's Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don't know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don't care about Michael Holden.
I really don't.

Welcome to my first English review on my blog. I realised that Solitaire is yet to be available in Germany, so I figured an English review would make sense.

Firstly, I wouldn't say I had high hopes. Everyone knows how much I love Heartstopper. However, Alice Oseman's other books, Loveless and I was born for this, disappointed me. Like a lot. I disliked I was born for this so much I wanted to burn it. But I had Solitaire already on my bookshelf, and I heard many good things about it, so I was hoping I would enjoy it more than the other books.

Sadly, I was very wrong.

Solitaire was the only book I read in November. That might be because I had so much to do for uni, but probably because I struggled with this book, too. What I liked about this book: Nik and Charlie. That's it. Tori, Charlie's sister, behaved like a toddler and not like a 16-year-old. 

The fact that her depression (or whatever it was) was never discussed was the first point that annoyed me. But Tori is also extremely selfish. For example, she makes plans with someone and decides she doesn't want to meet them, but instead of sending them a text, she doesn't do anything. And the next day, she wonders why this person doesn't want to talk to her? Honestly, I was furious. 

Tori is the definition of pick me. She thinks she is the only reasonable person in her friend group and treats all her friends like trash. Noone like the Girl hates Girls trope, so please, just stop. She is constantly shaming other girls for wanting to look nice. This behaviour is never addressed in the book.

In the end, I had no idea what this book was about. Friendship? Bullying? Depression? Who knows!
I disliked Solitaire almost as much as I was Born for This, and I will not pay for another book by Alice Oseman (unless it is Heartstopper).

Rating

★★☆☆☆

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Dieser Blog ist mit Blogspot, einem Googleprodukt, erstellt und wird von Google gehostet.
Es gelten die Datenschutzerklärung & Nutzungsbedingungen für Googleprodukte.

Um auf diesem Blog zu kommentieren benötigst Du ein Google Konto.