November 05, 2023

Divine Rivals - Rebecca Ross

 

After centuries of sleep, the gods are warring again. But eighteen-year-old Iris Winnow just wants to hold her family together. Her mother is suffering from addiction and her brother is missing from the front lines. Her best bet is to win the columnist promotion at the Oath Gazette.

To combat her worries, Iris writes letters to her brother and slips them beneath her wardrobe door, where they vanish—into the hands of Roman Kitt, her cold and handsome rival at the paper. When he anonymously writes Iris back, the two of them forge a connection that will follow Iris all the way to the front lines of battle: for her brother, the fate of mankind, and lov
e.

Oh Boy! I started this book because I wanted to read some of my Fairyloot Books. Seeing those beautiful books unread on my bookshelf makes me so sad. I didn't know what this book was about when I started reading it. But let me tell you, this book is my reading highlight 2023 so far!


From the first page, I was fully emersed in the story, something that hasn't happened in a long time. The way the author describes the world is lovely. A problem I sometimes have with Fantasy books, especially as English is my second language, is that the world-building is too confusing and complex. However, the author told us everything about this new world effortlessly and naturally. The book's pace was perfect, so I didn't feel once that it was too slow or that the storyline was building up too fast.

The characters, Iris and Roman, made this book perfect. Their banter, little fights, humour - it was like I was right there with them. Their love story was slow and sweet and just perfect. It is portrayed with sensitivity and nuance and feels natural and organic. Honestly, they are my dream couple, and Roman is at the top of my book-boyfriends list.


However, their love story is not at the centre of this story. Divine Rivals is about family, war, death and grief. It was heartbreaking to read about Iris' loss, Roman's family situation and everything that happens to them throughout the story. 


Divine Rivals by Rebecca Ross is an absolute masterpiece that I could not put down. The story is captivating, and the characters are so well-developed that I felt like I knew them personally. I was utterly drawn into the world that Ross created, and I did not want the book to end. It is, without a doubt, my favourite read of 2023, and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a great fantasy novel. The plot is intricate, and the pacing is perfect, making for a truly immersive experience. I cannot wait to see what Rebecca Ross has for us next.


Rating


★★★★★

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Dieser Blog ist mit Blogspot, einem Googleprodukt, erstellt und wird von Google gehostet.
Es gelten die Datenschutzerklärung & Nutzungsbedingungen für Googleprodukte.

Um auf diesem Blog zu kommentieren benötigst Du ein Google Konto.